Vellarimala is a mountain range in Kerala, India. It is part of the Western Ghats and is spread across Thiruvambady Panchayat in Kozhikode district and Meppadi Panchayat in Wayanad district. The highest peak in the range is Vavul Mala, which is 2,339 meters (7,674 feet) tall. Vellarimala is a popular trekking destination and offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains and valleys.
The range is also home to a variety of wildlife, including elephants, tigers, leopards, and deer. There are also several waterfalls in the area, including the Vellarimala Waterfalls and the Kanthanpara Waterfalls.
The best time to visit Vellarimala is during the monsoon season (June to September), when the waterfalls are at their fullest. However, the range can be visited all year round.
If you are planning to trek to Vellarimala, it is important to be prepared for the challenging terrain and the high altitude. You should also be aware of the wildlife in the area and take precautions to avoid any encounters.
Here are some of the things you can do in Vellarimala:
- Go trekking: There are several trekking trails in the range, ranging from easy to challenging.
- Visit the waterfalls: The Vellarimala Waterfalls and the Kanthanpara Waterfalls are both popular tourist destinations.
- Go bird watching: The range is home to a variety of birds, including the Malabar whistling thrush, the Nilgiri wood pigeon, and the Malabar grey hornbill.
- Camp in the forest: There are several campsites in the range where you can enjoy the peace and quiet of the forest.
- Learn about the local culture: The area around Vellarimala is home to a number of tribal communities. You can learn about their culture and traditions by visiting one of the local villages.
If you are looking for a challenging and rewarding trekking experience, Vellarimala is a great option. Just be sure to be prepared for the elements and the wildlife.
Some Of The Places You Can Visit In Vellarimala:
- Vellarimala Waterfalls: These are a series of waterfalls located in the Vellarimala mountain range. The best time to visit the waterfalls is during the monsoon season (June to September), when the water flow is at its highest.
- Kanthanpara Waterfalls: These are another set of waterfalls located in the Vellarimala mountain range. They are smaller than the Vellarimala Waterfalls, but they are still a popular tourist destination.
- Vavul Mala: This is the highest peak in the Vellarimala mountain range. It is a challenging climb, but the views from the top are worth it.
- Soochipara Waterfalls: These are also known as the Sentinel Rock Waterfalls. They are located near the Muthappanpuzha village and are a popular spot for trekking and camping.
- Neelimala Viewpoint: This viewpoint offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains and valleys. It is a great place to relax and enjoy the scenery.
- Heart Lake: This lake is located in the middle of the Vellarimala mountain range. It is a popular spot for swimming and boating.
- Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary: This sanctuary is home to a variety of animals, including elephants, tigers, leopards, and deer. You can go on a safari to see the animals in their natural habitat.
These are just a few of the many places you can visit in Vellarimala. With its stunning scenery, challenging treks, and diverse wildlife, Vellarimala is a great place to explore.