Munnar is a beautiful hill station located in the Western Ghats of Kerala, India. Known for its breathtaking landscapes, tea plantations, and misty mountains, Munnar offers a range of activities and attractions for visitors. Here are some things to do in Munnar:
- Visit the Tea Gardens: Munnar is renowned for its vast tea plantations. Take a leisurely stroll through the tea gardens, learn about the tea-making process, and enjoy panoramic views of the rolling hills covered in vibrant green tea leaves.
- Explore Eravikulam National Park: This national park is home to the endangered Nilgiri Tahr, a mountain goat species. Enjoy a safari through the park and witness the rich biodiversity, including various flora, fauna, and stunning waterfalls.
- Experience the Mattupetty Dam: Visit the Mattupetty Dam, nestled amidst the hills, and take a boat ride on the serene reservoir. The surrounding landscape offers picturesque views and opportunities for nature walks and birdwatching.
- Trek to Echo Point: Embark on a trek to Echo Point, a scenic spot surrounded by lush green hills. Shout out your name, and you’ll hear your voice echoing back. The misty ambiance and beautiful views make it a popular destination for nature lovers.
- Visit Top Station: Situated at the highest point on the Munnar-Kodaikanal road, Top Station offers mesmerizing views of the Western Ghats. Enjoy the panoramic vistas, explore the nearby tea gardens, and capture memorable photographs.
- Take a Jeep Safari to Kolukkumalai: Join a thrilling jeep safari to Kolukkumalai, one of the highest tea plantations in the world. Experience the bumpy ride, witness the stunning sunrise, and learn about the tea-making process in the old-fashioned tea factory.
- Enjoy Adventure Activities: Munnar offers various adventure activities like rock climbing, rappelling, and trekking. Indulge in these activities under the guidance of experienced instructors and explore the natural beauty of the region.
- Visit the Tea Museum: Learn about the history and heritage of tea production in Munnar at the Tea Museum. Discover the evolution of tea processing techniques and enjoy tea-tasting sessions to experience the different flavors.
- Relax at the Atukkad Waterfalls: Take a break from the hustle and bustle of the town and relax amidst the serene atmosphere of Atukkad Waterfalls. Enjoy the cascading waters, click photographs, and immerse yourself in the tranquility of nature.
- Explore the Blossom International Park: This park is known for its beautiful gardens, boating facilities, and an enchanting display of flowers. Take a leisurely walk, rent a pedal boat, or enjoy a picnic amidst the colorful surroundings.
Remember to check the current situation and any travel restrictions before visiting Munnar. Enjoy your trip!
- Trekking & Hiking – Wildlife sanctuaries in Munnar offer good trekking trails and you have to take prior sanction from the authority.
- Tea Plantation Visits – Visit to tea plantations help to understand how tea crops are grown, and processed, and taste a cup of hot tea.
- Spice plantation tours – visit aromatic vanilla and cardamom spice plantations.
- Boating and Fishing – Take a boat ride in Mattupetty dam and indulge in fishing near river banks.
- Bicycle Rides – The best way to experience Munnar
- Rock climbing and rappelling – It will test the stamina of extreme adventurers. Munnar has steep rocks ideal for rock climbing and rappelling. Rappelling is systematically and controlled descending down a rock by using a rope.
- Paragliding and tandem jumping.- adventure sport in the air – Minimum flying time is 10 minutes and can be extended to 1 hr depending on climate.