Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary is the largest wildlife sanctuary in Kerala lies at the border of Tamil Nadu and Karnataka. Also known as Wayanad Wildlife, it is a region with rich biodiversity and outstanding natural beauty. Rich in dense rain forest that set amidst the enchanting hills of Western Ghats, this wildlife sanctuary is home to unique flora and fauna. Wayanad is a perfect destination for holidaymakers, nature lovers and adventure fanatics. Visiting Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary and other tourist attractions in this district shall be a mind-blowing experience. We, KSU have been offering tour packages and taxi services to travelers to Kerala. Visit our website today to get more details about Wayanad and plan your holidays.
A Sanctuary With Rich Biodiversity And Scenic Beauty
Set in the middle of the Western Ghats hills, Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary is blessed with rich biodiversity. People from across the globe visit this sanctuary in order to enjoy its amazing flora and fauna. It is home to a wide range of animals such as bison, elephants, wild cats and panther and many exotic birds and butterflies. This wildlife sanctuary along with Mudumalai National Park of Tamil Nadu and Bandipur National Park of Karnataka makes a lengthy corridor of tropical rainforest region. Nearly 17 anti-poaching stations are set inside this sanctuary. The inner zones of this sanctuary are accessible only to forest officers and wildlife researchers.
Spread across more than 345 sq. km area, the Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary has varieties of deciduous trees like rosewood, bamboos, vengal and chadachi. Four mountain ranges are adorning this region such as Muthunga, Sultan Bathery, Tholpetty and Kurichiat. The closest mountain range to this wildlife sanctuary is Sultan Bathery. This region is a favorite hangout not only for nature lovers and wildlife enthusiasts but many photographers also visit here for capturing its eye-catching natural beauty. By visiting the Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary, you will be able to enjoy the most sought-after wildlife experience in Kerala.
Visitors need to take prior permission from the forest authorities to enter the forest.
It is important to hire the service of guides in order to explore the Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary. Visitors are not allowed to enter this sanctuary without the service of a trained forest guide. Every group in this picnic spot whether it is for a jeep or elephant safari must have a guide at their disposal. Your safari charge includes the charges of guide and camera.
Best Time To Visit
Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary is open for visitors only from August to February. The climate in this region remains pleasant during the winter months and just after the monsoon season. Nature is at its best in this sanctuary during this time. If you plan to visit the Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary, choose anytime between October and February. This tourist destination remains closed in the months of March and April.
Things To Do
- Opt for jeep or elephant safaris to the jungles. The rate of the safari per person is nearly Rs.300/-.
- Watch out for different animals like tigers, bison, panthers and jackals etc.
- Royal Bengal Tigers and wild elephants are the highlight of this sanctuary. Watch them.
- This sanctuary is home to more than 200 avian species. Just fix your eyes on the binoculars so that you can watch several exotic birds from owl to peacocks.
- Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary is also home to several rare medicinal plants which has the capacity to cure diseases. So, keep an eye for them.
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothes as you need to travel an area of around 12 kilometers on foot in order to explore this sanctuary.
- Carry enough water to hydrate you but do not throw plastic bottles in the forest.
- Don’t take your pets inside sanctuary.
- Even though this sanctuary is open throughout the day, safaris are allowed only in the morning from 7 am to 10 am and late afternoon from 3 pm to 4.30 pm.
- Visitors must care about inflammables like cigarettes and matchsticks. This sanctuary does not allow visitors to leave them here and there.
- The maximum visiting duration with forest guide in this picnic spot is 2 hours.
- Each vehicle strictly follows the specific capacity of seats.
How To Reach
People who wish to visit the Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary usually access it from Kozhikode. The major railway station in the vicinity is Kozhikode which is at a distance around 110 km. Karipur International Airport at Kozhikode is the nearest airport to this sanctuary. It lies at a distance of about 140 kilometers. Travelers can take buses or hire taxis or cars from the airport or railway station to reach this sanctuary. Mysore and Kozhikode are almost same distance from this picnic spot.
Nearest airport: Karipur International Airport (140km)
Nearest railway station: Kozhikode (110km)
Luxury Force Traveller Van Rental Kochi
SOMETIMES JOURNEY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE DESTINATION
WHEN THE JOURNEY IS COMFORTABLE, THE DESTINATION LOOKS EVEN MORE ENCHANTING
Karmic Luxury Travel Service Offers Vans, Traveller & Coaches For Group Transportation In Kochi, ( Cochin ), Kerala For Best Fares.
7, Tel Exchange Road,
Maradu, Kochi - 682304