Munnar is a popular tourist destination located in the Idukki district of Kerala, India. It is a hill station situated in the Western Ghats mountain range, known for its breathtaking natural beauty, tea plantations, and pleasant climate. Here’s some information about Munnar tourism:
- Natural Beauty: Munnar is renowned for its picturesque landscapes, lush green hills, and tea gardens. The region is covered with sprawling tea plantations, mist-covered mountains, valleys, and cascading waterfalls. The scenic beauty attracts nature lovers and photographers from all around the world.
- Tea Plantations: Munnar is famous for its tea production. Visitors can explore the tea estates and learn about the tea-making process. Many plantations offer guided tours and tea-tasting sessions where you can sample different varieties of tea.
- Eravikulam National Park: This national park is home to the endangered Nilgiri Tahr, a rare mountain goat species. It offers stunning views of rolling hills, grasslands, and an array of flora and fauna. The park is known for its Neelakurinji flowers, which bloom once every twelve years.
- Mattupetty Dam and Lake: Situated about 13 kilometers from Munnar, Mattupetty Dam is a popular tourist spot. The dam offers a beautiful view of the surrounding hills and the serene Mattupetty Lake. Visitors can enjoy boating and scenic walks along the lake.
- Top Station: Located at an elevation of around 1,700 meters, Top Station offers breathtaking panoramic views of the Western Ghats and the neighboring state of Tamil Nadu. It is a great place to capture stunning photographs and enjoy the tranquility of the mountains.
- Echo Point: As the name suggests, Echo Point is known for its natural echo phenomenon. Located at an altitude of about 600 meters, visitors can shout out their names and hear their echoes resonating through the hills. The scenic beauty of the place is an added bonus.
- Adventure Activities: Munnar also offers various adventure activities such as trekking, camping, and rock climbing. The hilly terrains and lush forests provide excellent opportunities for outdoor enthusiasts to indulge in thrilling experiences.
- Tea Museum: The Tata Tea Museum in Munnar provides insights into the history, production, and processing of tea in the region. It showcases antique tea-making machinery, photographs, and exhibits related to tea cultivation.
- Ayurvedic Spa and Wellness: Munnar is known for its Ayurvedic treatments and wellness centers. Visitors can enjoy rejuvenating massages, therapies, and spa sessions amidst the tranquil surroundings.
- Local Cuisine: Don’t miss the opportunity to savor the local cuisine of Munnar. The region offers a variety of delicious South Indian dishes, including traditional Kerala cuisine and fresh seafood.
Munnar is a year-round destination, but the best time to visit is during the months of September to March when the weather is pleasant. It’s advisable to check the current travel guidelines and weather conditions before planning your trip.
Endowed with natural beauty, Munnar has flourishing tourism and travelers can explore many tourist attractions and enjoy activities in this destination.
Munnar is an outstanding tourist destination in Kerala located on the picturesque Western Ghats and attracts tourists from across the globe. This premium hill station is situated at an altitude of around 6000 to 8000 feet above sea level and offers many enchanting attractions to explore. Endowed with natural beauty, Munnar has a flourishing tourism scenario. In fact, tourism in this hill station is connected with eye-catching mountain ranges with scenic peaks, gorgeous green valleys, low-flying clouds, panoramic waterfalls and streams, extensive tea plantations and a pleasant climate. Guests can also enjoy many adventure and fun-filled activities during their visit to Munnar.
Scenic Tourist Attractions In Munnar
Mattupetty Lake and Dam
Mattupetty Lake and Dam are the prime attractions of this tourist spot. As a beautiful picnic destination, visitors can enjoy the beauty of Kundala Lake and sprawling tea plantations at this destination. Travelers can enjoy boating in the lake. The specialized dairy farm is another attraction of Mattupetty. You can see so many high-yielding cattle varieties in the Indo-Swiss livestock project dairy farm.
Located almost 6 kilometers away from Munnar, Pothamedu provides excellent views of the large cardamom, coffee, and tea plantations. You can also enjoy the breathtaking scenery of the lofty mountains, rolling hills, and green valleys. It is an ideal place for mountain walks and trekking.
Devikulam is nearly 7 kilometers from Munnar. In addition to the cool mountain air, unique flora and fauna, and velvet lawns, this beautiful hill station is famous for the Sita Devi Lake. The water in this lake has the presence of minerals and is believed to have healing powers.
Pallivasal is the first Hydro Electric Project in the state famous for its panoramic nature. It lies almost 8 kilometers from Munnar.
Travelers to Munnar never forget to visit Attukad as the waterfall and rolling hills of the destination are a feast for the eyes. Situated between Pallivasal and Munnar, this is an ideal location for trekking.
Visit Chithirapuram in Munnar to enjoy the old-world charm of this hill station. You can see many sleepy bungalows, cottages, old courts and playgrounds in this picnic spot that still radiates the old-world charm. The extensive tea plantations are another attraction of this tourist spot.
Located approximately 15 kilometers from Munnar, never forget to visit Eravikulam National Park during your visit to Munnar. Home to the endangered Nilgiri Tahr, the panoramic Anamudi Peak is located in the southern part of this park.
Eravikulam National Park
There are many other attractions in Munnar to explore in addition to the above tourist spots. You can also indulge in different activities during your visit to this hill station.