Alleppey, also known as Alappuzha, is a popular tourist destination in the Indian state of Kerala, known for its backwaters, canals, and houseboat experiences. Village tours in Alleppey offer visitors an opportunity to explore the local rural life, interact with villagers, and experience the traditional culture of the region. These tours often include activities such as:
- Village Walks: Guided walks through the villages, where you can observe the daily activities of the locals, see paddy fields, coconut groves, and interact with the villagers.
- Canoe Rides: Enjoy a serene canoe ride through the narrow canals and waterways, witnessing the scenic beauty of the backwaters, and getting a closer look at the village life.
- Visiting Local Industries: Visit local industries such as coir-making units, toddy tapping (traditional palm wine), and fish farms to learn about traditional methods and witness the local livelihoods.
- Village Market Visit: Explore the bustling village markets, where you can see local produce, spices, and handicrafts, and interact with the vendors.
- Traditional Kerala Meal: Enjoy a traditional Kerala meal served on a banana leaf, featuring a variety of vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes cooked in the authentic Kerala style.
- Cultural Performances: Experience traditional art forms like Kathakali (classical dance-drama), Theyyam (ritual dance form), or Mohiniyattam (classical dance) performed by local artists.
- Cycling Tours: Explore the countryside on a bicycle, cycling through the narrow pathways, witnessing the scenic beauty, and immersing yourself in the tranquility of the villages.
These are just a few examples of the activities that may be included in Alleppey village tours. The specific tour packages and offerings can vary depending on the tour operators and your preferences. It’s recommended to research and contact local tour operators or travel agencies in Alleppey to get detailed information about the available village tour options and to choose the one that suits your interests.
Day Tour from Kochi (Cochin) to Alappuzha (Alleppey) VIllage Backwater Tour. Cruise through the narrow backwater canals of Alleppey / Alappuzha Backwaters. Explore the famous Kerala backwaters of Alleppey / Alappuzha on board a traditional Boat.
Following a pick-up from Cochin Port (Ships Berth) or Your place of stay in Kochi City / Fort Kochi at 08:00 – 08:30 AM. Transfer to Alappuzha (Alleppey) to board your boat between 10:00 to 10:30 AM.
Cruise slowly through the backwaters and village areas to marvel at the lush vegetation, paddy fields, coconut palms, village areas, and more. Shortstop during the cruise at a local restaurant to try some local snacks.
Cruise ends at approximately 13:00 for the transfer back to Cochin Port / Hotel at Kochi / Cochin by about 15:30.
What’s included In Alappuzha Village Backwater Tour
- Traditional Kerala Lunch
Alappuzha (Alleppey) is known as the Venice of the East and with due reason. The most charming way to discover this is by taking a village tour. These tours usually take four to six people, a guide, all in an open canoe, shikara or a covered boat called kettuvallam / houseboat. Alleppey Village Tours Kerala lasting from two and a half hours to six hours include a variety of sensory experiences as you travel through narrow canals and stunning views. You can meet village people or simply watch farmers working in paddy fields.
The Beauty Of Alappuzha Backwaters
The mesmerizing beauty of Kerala owes to its stunning backwaters. There are many backwater destinations in the state that each tourist loves to savor. The most popular backwater destination in Kerala is Alappuzha which is crisscrossed with backwaters, canals, and lagoons. The serene and tranquil ambiance of the backwater destinations truly makes each traveler commune with nature. They just love to take a ride through the backwaters on houseboats which allows them to get glimpses of the life of the locals. Cruising is also a great way to watch many exotic migratory birds.