Kerala, a state located in the southwestern part of India, is known as “God’s Own Country” and offers a unique and captivating experience during the monsoon season. Here are some reasons why you should consider visiting Kerala during the monsoon:
- Lush Greenery: Kerala is renowned for its natural beauty, and the monsoon season enhances its charm. The rain showers rejuvenate the land, resulting in lush green landscapes, blooming flowers, and cascading waterfalls. The Western Ghats, tea plantations, and backwaters come alive with vibrant shades of green, creating a picturesque setting.
- Ayurvedic Rejuvenation: Kerala is famous for its Ayurvedic treatments and therapies, which aim to promote wellness and rejuvenation. The monsoon is considered an ideal time for Ayurvedic treatments as the moist weather enhances the effectiveness of herbal oils and therapies. Several Ayurvedic resorts and centers offer specialized monsoon packages to help detoxify and revitalize the body.
- Houseboat Experience: Kerala’s backwaters are a major tourist attraction, and the monsoon adds a unique touch to the houseboat experience. Drifting along the serene backwaters, surrounded by the rhythmic sound of raindrops, offers a tranquil and enchanting experience. It’s an opportunity to witness the natural beauty and traditional way of life in the region.
- Festivals: Kerala is known for its vibrant festivals, and the monsoon season hosts several significant celebrations. One such festival is Onam, Kerala’s harvest festival, which occurs during the monsoon. The state comes alive with cultural performances, boat races, flower decorations, and delicious feasts. The monsoon adds an extra touch to the festivities, making it a memorable time to experience Kerala’s rich cultural heritage.
- Off-Peak Season: The monsoon season is considered an off-peak period for tourism in Kerala, meaning fewer crowds and better deals on accommodation and travel. You can enjoy the serenity of the region, explore popular attractions without the usual hustle, and savor the tranquility that the rains bring.
- Wildlife and Nature Reserves: Kerala is home to several wildlife sanctuaries and national parks, including Periyar, Wayanad, and Silent Valley. The monsoon season offers a unique opportunity to witness Kerala’s diverse flora and fauna in their natural habitat. The rain-drenched forests teem with wildlife, and the chances of spotting rare species increase during this time.
- Authentic Cuisine: Kerala is renowned for its delectable cuisine, and the monsoon adds a special touch to the food experience. The abundance of fresh vegetables, seafood, and spices combined with the cool weather makes it the perfect time to savor traditional Kerala dishes like appam, fish curry, and banana chips.
It’s important to note that while visiting Kerala during the monsoon has its own charm, the region experiences heavy rainfall, which may impact outdoor activities and transportation. It’s advisable to check weather conditions and plan accordingly.
- Get Good Discounts
Kerala is an expensive tourist destination in India and travelers can enjoy huge discounts on accommodation if they travel the state during monsoon. It is easy to find economical lodging if you choose Monsoon time to explore Kerala. Peak season starts from November to March and even if you visit the state in September or October, you can enjoy discounts of up to 50% on rooms. It is interesting to know that even the popular backwater houseboats in Kerala offer good deals during off months. So, simply bargain and get great discounts and enjoy the beauty of rain conveniently.
- Celebrate Onam
Onam takes place either in the month of August or September and travelers can participate in the celebration of this biggest state festival if they visit Kerala during this time. This festival is related to the legendary King Mahabali who ruled over the state. This harvest festival lasts for 10 days and holidaymakers can enjoy a lot of things including eye-catching flower patterns, costumed parades, and snake boat races. The Onam feast is another great thing that nobody will forget. So, make a memorable holiday in Kerala by visiting the state during Monsoon.
- Best Time For Ayurvedic Treatments
The best time for undergoing Ayurvedic treatments and therapies is monsoon as the atmosphere is damp during this time. The ideal climate makes the pores open and makes them more receptive to Ayurvedic massages and herbal oils. This ancient health system is suitable to cure several ailments such as insomnia and arthritis through refreshing and rejuvenating massages and treatments and the use of herbal medicines and oils. Besides, it is not difficult to find herbs and other medicinal plants during this season.
- Enjoy The Sound Of The Rain
Enjoy the beauty and sound of raindrops and the smell of wet mud by visiting the state during monsoon months. It must be relaxing and mind-blowing and just lie in your bed and enjoy the sounds of rain. It is truly magical to visit Kerala during the monsoon and enjoy the refreshing feel of rain at this time.
- Rich Greenery
Of course, Kerala is a green state and the monsoon enhances its greenery. The rich flora and fauna during monsoon make it a favorite place for many nature lovers and holidaymakers. Rains truly enhance the beauty of this eye-catching state during monsoon season.