Munnar, located in the beautiful state of Kerala in India, is a popular hill station known for its stunning landscapes, tea plantations, and abundant natural beauty. Here are some recommendations for things to do in Munnar:
- Explore the Tea Gardens: Munnar is famous for its vast tea plantations. Take a stroll through the tea gardens, breathe in the fresh air, and enjoy the serene surroundings. You can also visit tea factories to learn about the tea-making process.
- Visit the Eravikulam National Park: This national park is home to the endangered Nilgiri Tahr, a mountain goat species. Enjoy a safari or trek through the park to witness the diverse flora and fauna, as well as breathtaking views of the Western Ghats.
- Take a Boat Ride in Mattupetty Dam: Enjoy a leisurely boat ride in the serene waters of Mattupetty Dam, surrounded by lush green hills and tea gardens. You can also visit the nearby Indo-Swiss Dairy Farm to see cattle and learn about dairy farming.
- Explore Top Station: Located at the highest point in Munnar, Top Station offers panoramic views of the Western Ghats and the valley below. The misty atmosphere and the beautiful landscape make it a must-visit spot.
- Trek to Echo Point: Embark on a trek to Echo Point, where you can shout out your name and hear it reverberate through the hills. The picturesque view of the lake and the surrounding hills adds to the charm of this place.
- Visit Kundala Lake: Enjoy the serene beauty of Kundala Lake, surrounded by lush green valleys and rolling hills. You can take a pedal boat ride on the lake or simply relax by its tranquil shores.
- Explore the Blossom International Park: This park is a perfect spot for nature lovers. It features beautiful gardens, rare species of flowers, and a vast variety of flora. You can also enjoy activities like boating, cycling, and roller skating here.
- Indulge in Ayurvedic Treatments: Kerala is renowned for its traditional Ayurvedic treatments. Munnar offers several Ayurvedic centers and spas where you can rejuvenate your mind and body with therapeutic massages and treatments.
- Visit the Tea Museum: Learn about the history and evolution of tea production in the region at the Tea Museum in Munnar. The museum showcases old machinery, photographs, and artifacts related to tea cultivation.
- Experience Adventure Activities: Munnar offers opportunities for adventure enthusiasts. You can go trekking, rock climbing, rappelling, or paragliding in the scenic landscapes surrounding the town.
Remember to check the local weather conditions and plan your visit accordingly. Munnar’s pleasant climate makes it a year-round destination, but monsoon season (June to September) might bring heavy rainfall, so be prepared.
Tata Tea Museum
When in Munnar, do not lose the opportunity to visit the Tea Museum run by Tata Tea which traces the growth of the tea industry in Munnar from the 1880s. Interesting relics, photographs, and artifacts on display
Trek and camp amidst the shola grasslands of the Munnar. The terrain is mountainous with numerous streams criss-crossing your way and the views truly spectacular.
Alongside, you can see many refreshing waterfalls. Atukkal Waterfalls, scenic waterfalls amidst hills and jungles. You can find a road leading to Atukkad Waterfalls on Kochi Road (just about 5 km from Munnar). This road is very narrow and needs a lot of experience to drive on.
Situated at a height of 1700m above sea level, Top station is located at a distance of 32 km from Munnar. The rare Neelakurinji belongs to this region. You can also get an exquisite view of Tamil Nadu from this place.
Kolukkumalai 35 km from Munnar via Chinnakanal is a tea estate located in the upper reaches of Theni Dist of Tamil Nadu, close to the Kerala border. Kolukkumalai produces some of the most flavorsome teas in the market, touted as “the world’s highest-grown tea.” In fact, the heady fragrance of freshly fired tea wafts across, welcoming one well before one reaches the quaint little factory Kolukkumalai is famed for its spectacular views, breathtaking in their magnitude and beauty. This place can be accessed only by 4-wheel jeeps.
Munnar offers some of the best hotels and resorts in Kerala.