Top Station is a popular tourist destination located in Munnar, a hill station in the state of Kerala, India. It is known for offering breathtaking panoramic views of the Western Ghats, tea plantations, and valleys. Here’s some information about Top Station:
- Location: Top Station is situated at an altitude of approximately 1,880 meters (6,168 feet) above sea level, on the Kannan Devan Hills in Munnar. It is located about 32 kilometers (20 miles) away from Munnar town.
- Scenic Views: One of the main attractions of Top Station is the stunning view it provides. From here, visitors can witness the vast expanse of the Western Ghats and enjoy the sight of mist-covered mountains, lush green valleys, and tea estates. On clear days, you may even catch a glimpse of the distant plains of Tamil Nadu.
- Neelakurinji Blooms: Top Station is particularly famous for its association with the rare Neelakurinji flowers. These beautiful purple-blue flowers bloom once every twelve years, covering the hills in a stunning carpet of color. The last major blooming of Neelakurinji occurred in 2018, and the next is expected in 2030.
- Trekking: Top Station serves as the starting point for several trekking trails that lead to nearby attractions like Meesapulimala, the second-highest peak in the Western Ghats. Trekking enthusiasts can explore the scenic beauty and enjoy the thrill of hiking through the hills.
- Tea Plantations: The surrounding area of Top Station is dotted with tea plantations, and the view of the vast tea estates from the top is a sight to behold. Visitors can also visit tea factories nearby to learn about the tea-making process and sample different types of tea.
- Facilities: Top Station offers basic facilities for tourists, including viewpoints, seating areas, restrooms, and small shops selling refreshments and local handicrafts. However, it’s advisable to carry your own food and water as the options may be limited.
- Weather: The weather at Top Station can be quite chilly, especially during the winter months (November to February). It is recommended to carry warm clothing to enjoy the visit comfortably.
When planning a visit to Top Station, it’s a good idea to check the local weather conditions and confirm the bloom status of the Neelakurinji flowers if you wish to witness them. The best time to visit is generally between March and May when the weather is pleasant and the views are clear.
Hidden in the amazing green valleys of Munnar, Top Station is one of the well-frequented tourist hotspots in Kerala. Located at a distance of approximately 40 Kilometers from Munnar, it is at an average elevation of 1800 meters above sea level in the Western Ghats.
If you are looking for a weekend getaway where you can enjoy the beauty of an isolated place, then it is advisable to plan a tour of Top Station in Munnar, which is unknown to even offbeat travelers. Hence, you can enjoy a wonderful time amidst nature without getting disturbed.
Best Time To Visit Top Station Munnar
As the region in and around Top Station maintains a favorable climate throughout the year, it is a year-round destination. However, during the monsoon season, you need to be careful as the routes leading to the peaks of Top Station get slippery and hence, it becomes a risky task to reach Top Station safely. If you are looking to enjoy the best of Top Station when the lush greenery is at its summit, then the best time to visit is from October until the end of April.
A Little About Top Station’s History And Present
Nestled wonderfully in the Kannan Devan Hills at Munnar in the state of Kerala, Top Station is an unveiled hilly region and is popular only among local tourists. Despite hosting the raw beauty of nature, it remains unexplored throughout the year. However, over a period of time, it has gained fame among trekkers, campers, and hikers, who come here to relish a few moments amidst the hush of nature. Top Station is also a place of historical significance as it served as an intermediate destination for Kannan Devan Tea in between Munnar and Kottagudi. Today, it is more of a weekend getaway that provides its visitors with scenic beauty and a peaceful environment. If you are tired of visiting mainstreams, then you must consider Top Station as your next weekend destination.
Why You Should Visit Top Station
Wouldn’t you love to camp atop secluded hills and savor the best of sunrise and sunset? If yes, then Top Station is your destination this season. From the top, you can enjoy panoramic views of the surrounding hills and nearby settlements. As the region is rich in greenery and wildlife, you also get to witness some of the rare and endangered species of plants and flowers in the region.
A perfect stoppage for camping, hiking, and trekking, Top Station should be on the bucket list of every traveler who is looking forward to discovering new places and interesting spots. Kurinjimala Sanctuary, famous for nurturing rare Neelakurinji flowers, and Palani Hills Wildlife Sanctuary are a few nearby attractions that can be explored on your trip to Top Station.
How To Reach Top Station
By Air: If you are looking to travel by air, then the appropriate way to reach Top Station is by taking a direct flight to Cochin International Airport, which is located at a distance of about 150 km from the station. From the airport, you can either take a direct cab or a bus to Munnar.
By Rail: The nearest railway station from Top Station is located in Aluva at a distance of around 150 km. Hence, you can catch a direct train to Aluva and then from there, a bus or taxi to Top Station.
By Road: Being a hilly region, Top Station doesn’t possess a good network of roads. Hence, you need to trek up the hill to reach Top Station. From Munnar, the base of the hill is easily accessible by road.