Of course, drowsy driving can be a dangerous situation. Most of the accidents that occur on our highways during nights are due to the drowsy driving of people. Many drivers tend to fall asleep while driving especially when they drive long distances. No substitute is there for sufficient sleep. Besides, it is important for them to take breaks during long distance driving. Accidents occur when your body needs sleep and you continue driving against that. Your body cannot control the urge to sleep more than a particular time how efficient you are as a driver. In order to avoid accidents, it is important to take rest before going to cover long distances. A driver cannot control his sleep by talking to somebody or rolling down the windows. Here are a few tips to consider staying alert and safe when you are behind the wheel.
Learn To Stay Alert
Whenever you feel at risk for falling asleep, the most important thing to do is to take a nap. Drowsy driving is highly dangerous and can be avoided. You must stop driving and take sufficient rest when:
- You feel your eyelids heavy
- Cannot keep the mind focused
- Tired body and limbs
These are the warning signs given by the brain before we fall asleep while driving. Take enough protective measures when you feel such symptoms in order to avoid any dangerous situation. Find a safe place and stop the vehicle. Take 15-20 minutes nap which helps to regain the lost energy. Taking sufficient rest is the best way to avoid the unfortunate condition of falling asleep and face accidents.
Things To Remember
It is better to avoid driving late at night because our body tends to fall asleep from midnight to early morning till 5 am. So, avoid these hours for driving unless it is necessary.
- Pull over at a safe place and take a 20-30 minutes nap when you feel sleepy.
- Make sure to get at least 8 hours of sleep prior to the trip especially needs to cover long distances.
- It is better to reduce vehicle speed during night than day time in order to avoid deadly accidents.
- Chances of falling asleep are high during night driving. It is advisable not to travel alone during night time.
- Try to share driving with a fellow passenger.
- Do not drive after consuming alcohol. The alcohol in the body at night cause more harm.
- Drinking coffee is useful for short-term boost.
Make right choices whenever you are behind the wheel for long drives especially during nights to avoid drowsy driving. Remember, it is our life and we need to take protective measures for safe driving and avoid accidents. Sufficient sleep is the right way to combat drowsy driving. Nothing can replace adequate sleep to enjoy safe driving. Avoid drowsy driving and reach your destination safely.