Wayanad, located in the Indian state of Kerala, offers a wide range of activities and attractions for visitors. Here are some things you can do while in Wayanad:
- Explore Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary: Go on a thrilling wildlife safari in the Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary and spot various species of animals including elephants, tigers, leopards, deer, and many bird species.
- Visit Chembra Peak: Trek to Chembra Peak, the highest peak in Wayanad, and enjoy breathtaking views of the surrounding valleys and the heart-shaped lake known as the ‘Hridaya Saras.’
- Explore Edakkal Caves: Discover the ancient Edakkal Caves, known for their prehistoric rock art. Trek uphill to reach the caves and explore the fascinating carvings and inscriptions.
- Take a boat ride in Pookode Lake: Enjoy a peaceful boat ride in the scenic Pookode Lake, surrounded by lush greenery. You can also go for a nature walk or try out activities like pedal boating.
- Visit Banasura Sagar Dam: Explore the Banasura Sagar Dam, the largest earthen dam in India. Enjoy the scenic beauty, go on a speedboat ride, or take a leisurely walk along the dam.
- Discover Soochipara Waterfalls: Trek to Soochipara Waterfalls, also known as Sentinel Rock Waterfalls, and witness the magnificent three-tiered cascade amidst lush forests. You can take a refreshing dip in the pool at the base.
- Experience Tholpetty Wildlife Sanctuary: Embark on a thrilling safari in Tholpetty Wildlife Sanctuary, known for its rich biodiversity and the opportunity to spot animals like elephants, deer, wild boars, and langurs.
- Visit Wayanad Heritage Museum: Explore the Wayanad Heritage Museum, which showcases artifacts and exhibits related to the history, culture, and traditions of the region, including tribal artifacts.
- Trek to Neelimala Viewpoint: Hike to Neelimala Viewpoint and enjoy panoramic views of the Meenmutty Falls and the surrounding hills. It’s a popular spot for nature enthusiasts and photographers.
- Explore Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary: Go on a wildlife safari in Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary, another important wildlife reserve in Wayanad, known for its diverse flora and fauna.
- Discover the ancient Jain Temple in Sulthan Bathery: Visit the historic Jain Temple in Sulthan Bathery, which dates back to the 13th century. Admire the intricate architecture and learn about its historical significance.
- Indulge in local cuisine: Don’t miss the opportunity to savor the delicious traditional Kerala cuisine while in Wayanad. Try dishes like appam, puttu, fish curry, and various vegetarian and non-vegetarian delicacies.
These are just a few of the many things you can do in Wayanad. The region offers a delightful blend of natural beauty, wildlife, historical sites, and cultural experiences, making it a memorable destination for travelers.