Parambikulam Trekking Program
The trip leads the trekkers to rarely visited areas of Kerala. It is the combination of two popular treks of Parambikulam Wildlife Sanctuary – trek through Karinchola National Park & old tramway .
We have designed this trekking Programme through evergreen and moist forests of western ghats. This is rough & tough than dry forest trek.
The Parambikulam wildlife reserve is one of the best protected wildlife enclave in south India. Several rivers flow across the park. The park is famous for its teak plantations. You will also find sandalwood, rosewood, bamboo growing in abundant inside the sanctuary. The Kannimari teak tree is the largest of all grows here, and a major must see thing in the park. The flora and fauna here comprises of sloth beras,tigers, elephants, etc and 140 odd species of birds.
Our trek package destinations include Parambikulam Tiger reserve, Munnar Trek, Thattekad Bird Sanctuary, Chimmony Sanctuary, Senthuruny sanctuary and Periyar Tiger reserve.
Highlights Of The Trek
- Located in south east end of Palakad District of Kerala bordering Tamilnadu.
- Trek path – From Parambikulam base station the trek lead towards the dense ever green foliage through the mud path
- Trekking through Karinchola National Park followed by old tramway.
- The trial traverse has a total length of about 30 kms. Some time due to unexpected natural vagaries, the trek may deviate , so we can specify only approximate distance (25-30)
- Trekking after sunset is strictly prohibited
- Use trekking boots with good grip because the forest is cool and wet due to water seeping from just below the surface
- Dull coloured like forest green or mud brown cotton or woollen clothes
- Baggage – You need to carry only a small backpack for your essentials and one bottle of water
- Trekking groups will be accompanied by an approved Guide.
We will arrange your pick up from Cochin, Coimbatore, Ootty, Palakkad or Munnar – which are the nearest tourist destinations. The minimum duration for the programme will be 2 nights and 3 days. Please go through a specimen itinerary, but can be extended to any number of days.
We will reach the sanctuary around noon. After lunch we will proceed for a hike through the wet evergreen forest of Karianchola National park. By evening we will reach the tented camp in a moist forest area.
DAY – 2
After bed coffee we will return to base station. After breakfast the hike continue. This hike will be through a century old tramway path built during the colonial period to carry huge teak trees from Anamalais to Cochin Port. This tracing the tramway route, which is now under the rule of Animal Kingdom; where there is chance to encounter a tiger Maharaja, and his allies, his subjects like deer, gaur elephants, bear etc. Resting in under the umbrella of Baniyan trees, listening the chorus of birds like horn bills, mynas and others. By evening we will reach the camp-which is cottage used by rangers.
After breakfast the return hike to the base station will start. It will be through a different path and reach the base station by lunch time.