Parambikulam Trekking Program
The trip leads the trekkers to rarely-visited areas of Kerala. It is the combination of two popular treks of Parambikulam Wildlife Sanctuary – a trek through Karinchola National Park & an old tramway.
We have designed this trekking Programme through the evergreen and moist forests of western ghats. This is rougher & tougher than a dry forest trek.
The Parambikulam Wildlife Reserve is one of the best-protected wildlife enclaves in south India. Several rivers flow across the park. The park is famous for its teak plantations. You will also find sandalwood, rosewood, and bamboo growing in abundance inside the sanctuary. The Kannimari teak tree is the largest of all grows here, and a major must-see thing in the park. The flora and fauna here comprise of sloth bears, tigers, elephants, etc., and 140 odd species of birds.
Our trek package destinations include Parambikulam Tiger Reserve, Munnar Trek, Thattekad Bird Sanctuary, Chimmony Sanctuary, Senthuruny Sanctuary, and Periyar Tiger Reserve.
Highlights Of The Trek
- Located in the southeast end of Palakkad District of Kerala bordering Tamilnadu.
- Trek path – From Parambikulam base station the trek lead towards the dense ever-green foliage through the mud path
- Trekking through Karinchola National Park followed by an old tramway.
- The trial traverse has a total length of about 30 km. Sometimes due to unexpected natural vagaries, the trek may deviate, so we can specify only the approximate distance (25-30)
- Trekking after sunset is strictly prohibited
- Use trekking boots with good grip because the forest is cool and wet due to water seeping from just below the surface
- Dull colored like forest green or mud brown cotton or woolen clothes
- Baggage – You need to carry only a small backpack for your essentials and one bottle of water
- Trekking groups will be accompanied by an approved Guide.
We will arrange your pick up from Cochin, Coimbatore, Ootty, Palakkad or Munnar – which are the nearest tourist destinations. The minimum duration for the program will be 2 nights and 3 days. Please go through a specimen itinerary, but can be extended to any number of days.
We will reach the sanctuary around noon. After lunch, we will proceed for a hike through the wet evergreen forest of Karianchola National Park. By evening we will reach the tented camp in a moist forest area.
DAY – 2
After bed coffee, we will return to the base station. After breakfast, the hike continues. This hike will be through a century-old tramway path built during the colonial period to carry huge teak trees from Anamalais to Cochin Port. This tracing the tramway route, which is now under the rule of Animal Kingdom; where there is a chance to encounter a tiger Maharaja, and his allies, his subjects like deer, gaur elephants, bears etc. Resting under the umbrella of Baniyan trees, listening to the chorus of birds like hornbills, mynas and others. By evening we will reach the camp-which is cottage used by rangers.
After breakfast, the return hike to the base station will start. It will be through a different path and reach the base station by lunchtime.