Chellarkovil is a charming village located near Thekkady in the Idukki district of Kerala, India. It is a lesser-known destination but is gaining popularity among tourists due to its natural beauty and serene surroundings. Chellarkovil is situated near the famous tourist spot Thekkady and shares some similarities in terms of picturesque landscapes and pleasant weather.
Key features of Chellarkovil:
- Scenic Views: Chellarkovil is renowned for its stunning panoramic views of the Western Ghats and the plains of Tamil Nadu. The village is situated at a higher altitude, offering visitors breathtaking vistas of lush green valleys, cascading waterfalls, and mist-covered hills.
- Waterfalls: The village is home to the Chellarkovil Waterfalls, which is a major attraction in the area. The waterfall is especially impressive during the monsoon season when it gushes down with full force, creating a captivating sight for visitors.
- Sunset Views: Chellarkovil is known for its mesmerizing sunset views. The vantage points in the village provide an excellent opportunity to witness the sun setting over the vast expanse of the Western Ghats, creating a memorable experience for tourists.
- Offbeat Destination: Chellarkovil offers a tranquil and offbeat experience for travelers. Unlike some of the more commercialized tourist destinations in Kerala, Chellarkovil provides a quieter and more laid-back atmosphere, making it an ideal place for relaxation and rejuvenation.
- Trekking and Nature Walks: The surrounding hills and forests offer opportunities for trekking and nature walks. Exploring the pristine wilderness of Chellarkovil allows visitors to connect with nature and appreciate the region’s biodiversity.
As with any travel destination, it is essential to check for the latest information, local regulations, and travel advisories before planning a visit to Chellarkovil. The region’s conditions and accessibility might change, so it’s always wise to verify the current status from reliable sources before embarking on a trip.
Chellarkovil is a charming village situated in the Idukki district on the borders of Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary famous for its ecotourism activities. One cannot neglect the importance of ecotourism in the global tourism scenario. Visiting unspoiled and pristine natural environments can be a refreshing experience and many travelers choose ecotourism spots for spending time with their family or friends.
The initiative of Chellarkovil villagers to make this village a clear, pleasant and blossoming planet is truly commendable. Providing cultural and environmental awareness to reduce impact on environment and make the village a popular ecotourism spot can be the main aim of Chellarkovil ecotourism. Besides, it provides direct economical benefits also for the villagers and the conservation. Managed by the Kerala Government Forest Department, a lot of eco-tourism lovers visit Chellarkovil to explore its scenic and pristine natural environment.
Chellarkovil is nestled in the never ending hills of the enchanting Western Ghats worth visiting because of its unspoiled and charming nature. This ecotourism spot is almost 1200 meters above sea level and travelers can watch the beautiful surroundings conveniently from there. The cool and aromatic air is truly refreshing.
Chellarkovil is famous for its gorgeous waterfalls and scenic hilly landscape. This sleepy village is approximately 11 kilometers away from Kumily. A lot of travelers visit this ecotourism spot to enjoy the majestic waterfalls and beautiful terrains. Ideally situated in the Anakkara Panchayath of Idukki district, Chellarkovil is on the Kerala-Tamil Nadu border. It is among the most popular tourism spots in the Idukki district.
Ecotourism Programs in Chellarkovil
Several projects have introduced in this destination for making Chellarkovil a prominent ecotourism spot in Kerala. This project was started in the year 2008 by the ecotourism and forest department of Kerala with the participation of villagers. As an eco-tourism spot, you can see several eco-friendly huts, an area for medicinal plants, watch tower and pathways in Chellarkovil. A tourist amenity center is also there in this picnic spot.
There is a watch tower at Chellarkovil and placed a telescope on the balcony of the tower. From this ‘God’s own balcony’, you can watch marvelous views of the surroundings. Travelers find it amazing to visit this spot to enjoy spectacular views of sunrise and sunset. Chellarkovil is also blessed with a waterfall and the view of it is splendid during monsoon time.
The best time to visit Chellarkovil is from September to May. This tourist destination is well connected by road and tourists can take local buses or hire taxis from Kumily Town. The nearest railway station to Chellarkovil is Theni which is about 60 kilometers away. Madurai is the nearest airport which is 140 kilometers from this picnic spot.